Saturday, November 2, 2019

Retiring with a Camera and Learning how to use it.



I have been retired about 9 years now.

Many of my friends have also started the same phase of life.

I have lots of interests which are reflected in this and my other blogs and youtube channel.

I do meet with people often though, who are close to retiring and really are concerned about how they will occupy their time in retirement.

They are usually people who have made their work the main event.

Work  is the main event while we are of working age  and many choose to continue working past retirement age to remain occupied and mentally stimulated.

I have chatted with some people and made some suggestions when they are not sure about what they will do.

One of the things I suggest often is taking up photography.

Of course an ideal way to get started is when many new retirees go on their overseas holidays.

Inevitably in that scenario at least one of a couple will take a camera so they can record their holiday.

If people have not been into photography before this they can be quite disappointed with their images.

Usually they will have taken some sort of compact digital camera with them which they really don't know how to use.

Another area for retirees to get into photography is taking pics of their grandchildren.

So this post is a thought starter about taking up photography in retirement or re visiting it as something dabbled in when younger.

I have recently had some friends who were recently retired approach me for some lessons.

They had quite useful compact digital cameras but did not really know how to use them properly.

One had already been overseas and was disappointed with his pics and now was going again.

The other was bout to go on a major trek on the famed Kokoda Trail of New Guinea.

In a couple of hours we managed to go through some tips which they took on board.

Their results were pretty good.

The most useful tip was how to use the flash when shooting people in daylight where they were in front of a bright background.

By this I mean bright often overcast skies.

So for people who live in Adelaide, South Australia, why don't you consider contacting me for some introductory lessons to get started.

I have taught people photography for many years.

You will find my asking price for training very affordable.

I will teach both digital and film photography depending on your preference and will also give advice on buying a camera to suit your needs.

If you don't have a camera you can practice on one of mine.

Here is a link to something I did with some retired enthusiastic photographers.

https://geoffthompsonsphotographytraining.blogspot.com/2017/04/come-and-try-photography.html

Please ring on 0417867476 or email geoff.g.thompson@gmail.com












No comments:

Post a Comment